Monday, April 23, 2012

Student Portfolios

Subject:  Science
Grades:  11, 12
Technology tools:  Computer(s)
Tools used:  Digital Dropbox
Activity type:  Assessment

This activity allowed me to collect and assess my Internal Assessment Portfolio for my IB Students and provide them with a typed rubric with feedback.  It allowed for them to make changes (headers, formatting, etc.) prior to the final submission date as needed without multiple printings.

I used https://www.dropbox.com/ to collect student labs in my IB classes.  Each student created a dropbox folder and shared with me.  This allowed them to access their labs from any computer and any changes were instantly transmitted to me as well.  As I assessed their labs using the IB Rubric, I completed a digital review and saved this to each student's folder.  In this manner, they received meaningful feedback in a timely manner and could make adjustments as needed.  When Senior labs were compiled for moderation, it was an easy edit to add the candidate number and other identifying information that was not available in earlier years.

Dropbox is AMAZING!!!  I have also used this to share folders with the entire class and with my colleagues.

Students received individual rubrics with feedback that were delivered in their OWN private dropbox folder.

This made collecting IA (nearly) painless.  I had a timestamp of when students submittted and could easily look to see whether portfolios were complete. Since I used the digital rubric, I could also easily reassess the moderated selections to ensure I had accurately applied the rubric.

Gena Barnhardt,  Hickory High

No comments:

Post a Comment