Monday, April 23, 2012

Integrating Tech in Middle School Language Arts and Social Studies

Subjects:  Language Arts, Social Studies
Grade:  8
Technology tools:  Computer(s), LCD Projector, Document Camera
Tools used:  Interactive website, Video, Audio, Social media tool
Activity type:  Lesson, Unit, Project, Assessment, Research


Unit Topics included in my use have technology this year have been:  The Triangular SlaveTrade and Colonial and Revolutionary War periods,   I assigned a wiki project/assignment on the Triangular Slave Trade Route.

In Language Arts, I have included wiki projects and assignments tied to novels that included: Nothing But the Truth, Call of the Wild, and Gathering Blue.  I have also assigned student choice autobiography/biography projects that included choices of technology-related projects, which many students successfully completed.

I use video technology multiple times each week in Lang. Arts and/or Social Studies.  For example:  In Social Studies, when studying the Colonial Period in America, I showed students snippets from the History Channel that informed them about the Salem Witch Trials, but I also wanted them to hear music from the period, so I found a video of a Colonialorchestral piece, written by Percy Grainger, for them to hear. 



During the Revolutionary War Period, I hunted down snippets from "John Adams," a documentary that brilliantly allowed students to see visuals of some of our Founding Fathers during that period.  When studying the U.S. Constitution, I found interactive websites that enabled students to play games involving different important federal buildings in our nation's capitol.  (Explore some sites related to the constitution here.)

In Language Arts, one example of tech. integration would be the use of our class wiki.  One way that I use this is to post an assignment on the wiki, with instructions, due date, etc.  Students must also post a comment as part of their grade to document their presence at the site.

I nearly always change my activities from year to year, even if only in a small way.

Patti Duffey,  Northview

No comments:

Post a Comment